What is a goal?
A goal is the impression of a result of the lifestyle a person desires to have and live in the future. There are long term and short term goals people set for themselves. Regardless of the term, you need to pen your goals down and run after them.
A life without a goal is like a body without life. Here are some of the many reasons why setting goals for yourself is important.
- It gives a sense of direction: setting goals makes you think and study yourself and what you want and can achieve in life. It makes you think about what you want in life, and doing this gives you a sense of purpose.
For instance, you could create a 6-year plan based on where you hope to be, who you hope to become and what you hope to achieve. Having this long-term plan can help you move from just dreaming into actually doing.
- Setting goals helps you keep being motivated. Consciously setting goals gives you something to aspire to. Having a specific goal will motivate you to put your best into every productive work you put your interest into.
As a set of friends, having a common goal makes you be focused on achieving that goal. It makes you busy with others in the group, and it makes you engage in the exchange of ideas.
- It helps you to know what to do and what not to do. Goals are like a compass or guideline in how we should live our lives. Setting goals helps to direct us into doing precise and needed things.
After setting your goals, or will help you sieve the books you read, training you go for, friends you keep etc. In general, it makes you consciously and unconsciously involved in things in support of your goals.
- Setting goals helps to redefine who you are. It helps to reconstruct your behaviour and thinking. When you are so serious about your goals, it will affect your life – you may not feel comfortable moving with people with different or no aspirations.
It is very important to be in circles of like-minded people because it will help keep your momentum and keep you focused. There will be times you get distracted, confused, and tired, but your friend's life will likely spur you back on the track. Their achievement and dedication to their goals would be a motivation for you.
- Setting a goal will help you get maximum results. People without goals tend to not get maximum results in life because they are just living without a cutout goal. In getting a maximum result, you need to be clear about what you want, that is, you need to make achievable and reasonable goals for yourself.
For example, as a student, you can't set a goal of travelling overseas based on a scholarship in the next few years or even months, based on your terms (long term and short term). This is achievable! You would be different from a student that didn't set this goal because all your aspirations, longing and studying would be to be given a scholarship.
Writer: Rhoda Makinde.